Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Happy Birthday Jerry

I think it would be impossible for me or anyone else to fully articulate what Jerry meant to us. Through my addiction, recovery and all my Wharf Rat days, Jerry was really one thing that held strong and true in my heart. He gave me something so great, so profound that I still search to define it.
One of my most amazing memories of Jerry is from a show in Philadelphia. I recall my seat being right at the guardrail (or whatever you might call it) and the band walked by on their way off stage. Jerry was within my reach and I wanted to scream out to him and touch him. I opened my mouth and heard only a whisper come out. "Jerry". I pulled back my arm in what seemed like slow motion and realized only after the show that it was out of deep, deep respect.
I miss him dearly.

Jerome J. Garcia
1942-1995

7 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Beautiful tribute post, Helen. It's so amazing what music can do for us.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Daily Piglet said...

Very nice post. I feel this strongly about John Lennon.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Journey Home said...

Helen,
Come on by and say hello - we are all still out there as a community - joining together on myspace and the blogosphere - this is our high holy week (of course dead heads get a nine day week) - a smile to you - Paul

3:23 PM  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Helen:

Yes, nice tribute -- I've been there, in similar ways -- but it's time to move on...no?

Burkean Reflections

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all due respect Mr. Douglas, we (the Dead community) think it is imperative that the spirit Of Jerry Garcia live on. We are all responsible to carry on the values of those who has influenced us in positive ways. I could only hope to give a few people what he gave to so many.
Peace...............

6:07 AM  
Blogger Deadman said...

"but it's time to move on...no?"

Um, that would be NO, Mr. Burke.

If one enjoys something as much as we enjoyt the Dead and their music, why would anyone else presume to tell us it's time to move on? There are many thigs in this world that deserve to be moved on from, things that are NOT enjoyable, and I don't see anyone in a rush to do THAT.

Peace, brother!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

XO!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home