Tuesday, May 03, 2005

In some cemetery midnight underneath a wreath of rock, a living man awakens and surveys his tomb in shock

I post this a day early, quite intentionally,with hope that those who come by here tonight will take a moment to remember the tragedy at Kent State, May 4, 1970. I shamefully admit I would have forgotten myself had a friend not reminded me. To those unfamiliar with this catastrophe, you can read about the massacre here.
Four Dead in Ohio..........

Bill Schroeder

Sandy Scheuer

Allison Krause

Jeffrey Miller

I sent a brief e-mail to a survivor last night just to let him know I was thinking about him. He replied with gratitude and grace for which I was appreciative. Still, I am disheartened. Have we come far enough in 35 years?

5 Comments:

Blogger Pax said...

In the past years since Kent State things are very different but not better. Now we face a war in Middle east rather than Southeast Asia. In the 70's there were so many voices raised against the war - now this war is pushed to the back (more worried about runaway brides). Then there seemed to be a cohesive element to groups opposed to the war or interested in the environment. Now too many are competing for our voices, our feet, our dollars.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Princess Wild Cow said...

Unfortunately I remember that day all too well. I wonder why we have come so far and haven't been able to leave war behind..

10:30 PM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

What a beautiful post...if not for you I would have forgotten that today was the anniversary. People like to say we've come so far since then...but has anything really changed at all?

2:05 PM  
Blogger Hallucinogenious said...

We will not forget.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Thx for reminding those who may have forgotten.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home