Saturday, June 04, 2005

Who'll pay the rent? I don't know. Spent all mine on a rock and roll show - Circulate the Rhythm

Many a day I went without, so I could go to a Dead show. Many a night without sleep waiting for the box office to open. Many a night on the road just making it to work the next day. Many a ticket happily given to a fellow in need of a miracle. And I know many fellow Deadheads who went with much less than I. Giving things up? We gave up nothing in comparison to what we got back. On a level far beyond the physical, we made out like bandits. The benefits continue to unfold in my daily life.
Let it grow
..................

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't it great back "in the day?' It's a shame how much things have gone downhill. BTW, are you Janet's ex-sister?? lol

11:44 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

I find it difficult to express in words what I got out of The grateful Dead. Saying that I felt in tune with their psychic wavelength can sound so cliche but there was a definite connection I felt with them. Their persona on stage may have been radically different from the type of people they were privately but it was their group mind on stage that always appealed to me. The sound and vibe created by that group mind always took me outside of myself and showed me something interesting and moved me in ways that nothing else ever has. You're so right, I did get back so much more than I gave.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes we hitch-hiked, (can you imagine trying to do so today?)

Sometimes we stuffed the car with so many people the sides bulged, (OK "seemed" like they bulged.)

Sometimes we slept on the ground.

Then there were times that we took airplanes and stayed in nice hotels.

Over 700 times before I lost count. I only discovered how many times in retrospect by going over the dates and exclaimed, "Oh, that's where we were."

It was not just "a thing" in my life, for awhile it was "the thing" in my life. I learned so much.

2:45 AM  
Blogger lpkitten said...

so I guess my generation got jipped, huh? shame

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Such a pity most of us discarded those values now that we actually run the country.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it''s fucking gorgeous.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home