Thursday, April 06, 2006

You carry your pain wherever you go - Black Throated Wind

If my Mother told me once, it was a thousand times. "When it comes right down to it, you wouldn't want to trade your troubles for anyone else's." The older I get the more I understand. It was one of the greatest lessons she taught me. Now, as an adult, I translate her words. "Deal with your troubles. They are yours to own." I have heard more horror stories of abusive upbringings in the rooms of AA than I could ever imagine counting. I've lived a few myself. Some come out on top. Some swim in their pity pots. Some want to get better. They take charge. Other want......Other things. Whichever your choice it is your's to own.

11 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Well said rain,your mom gave you good advice.May i add always remember, everywhere you go there you are.

6:11 PM  
Blogger jane said...

Our troubles are familiar to us. They also make us part of what we are. You & your mom are right on, although I may not necessarily like my troubles, I surely wouldn't want someone else's. This brings to mind so many things, but I won't elaborate as it's your blog, lol. Thanks for this thought.

6:18 PM  
Blogger TrĂ©e said...

"yours to own"

I'd like to tattoo that phrase backwards on my forehead so that I read it every time I look into the mirror. Excellent post Helen.

7:23 PM  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

So true. Reminds me of the new Natasha Bedingfield (sp?) song I love so much..."Unwritten."

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Post!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Amen. I heard a guy the other day saying he was going back to jail for violating parole. He referred to it as G-d's plan for him. I leaned over to my buddy Murray and said, "I don't think G-d had anything to do with that one".

What is lacking often, I find, is an ability to take personal responsibility for one's actions.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

OH YEAH! I hear ya, sister!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Indeterminacy said...

I've always found your posts to be inspirational and wise.

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as you solve one problem
another problem seems to pop up out of nowhere. Maybe life is just solving one problem after the other
that's no problem.

4:02 AM  
Blogger ozymandiaz said...

I always understood that to mean you at least know the source and history of your troubles. I don't know if that necessarily helps us deal with them better but at least we know what they are and won't be blindsides by them.

9:58 AM  
Blogger ozymandiaz said...

Oh, and i blogrolled ya.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home