Monday, January 09, 2006

Look out of any window any morning, any evening, any day - Box of Rain

Music - Robert Hunter
Lyrics - Phil Lesh

"Box of Rain" was first recorded in 1970. In 1996, it's author received an e-mail asking "Robert, if you would, please tell me what you were thinking when you penned the phrase "Box of Rain". Hunter replied "Well, I don't like to do this since it encourages others to ask about what I had in mind when I wrote a song, and mostly you'd need to have my mind to understand even approximately what I had in it. By "box of rain" I meant the world we live on, but "ball" of rain didn't have the right ring to my ear, so box it became, and I don't know who put it there".

5 Comments:

Blogger Deadman said...

I first heard Box of Rain about 1971. I was 12. In high school, I wore out two or three cassette copies of "American Beauty".

I always envisioned a "box of rain" as a gift of rain left by someone anonymously in a conspicuous place so that whoever needed it might benefit from it.

I'll probably still think of it that way, what with the memories attached to that song and album.

Still trying to find some peace in my life......Thanks for being here, Helen...

12:12 AM  
Blogger Manzkee said...

I think I'm in the wrong track, Never heard of it. PEACE!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never got into the Dead but that one time I went to the Jerry Garcia Day.

But know I know where your blog is named after.

Hope you had a good week.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I did not know that, how cool!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Enlightening post about the info behind this song that names your blog! Mesermerizing photo, too.
I hope I already wished you Happy New Year, but if not, twice is better than none.

I've been emmeshed in family activity since my daughter has been home from college for a month, which means coding the redesign of both blogs has been hit or miss.

Missed visiting my regular rounds, but am thinking of you!
Peace is the word!

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home